The North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) visa is based on a treaty relationship between the US, Canada, and Mexico. This visa allows for professionals to work temporarily in the US in professional capacities. Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers.
Initial period of stay
You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:
- You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
- The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
- You have a prearranged full time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment)
- You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.