25 Jul Naturalization Eligibility Requirements
Before an individual applies for naturalization, he or she must meet a few requirements. Depending on the individual’s situation, there are different requirements that may apply. General requirements for naturalization are below.
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
- Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.
- Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply.Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediatelypreceding the date of filing Form N-400.
- Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out ofthe 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
- Be a person of good moral character.
- Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.